Monday, December 29, 2008

My Battle Against Alzheimer's!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/barnabebarbaracon/1066730_40980898.jpg

Imagine that you have a favorite book; when it was new, the edges were still sharp, the pages, crisp from the publisher --- imagine that you read that book at least once a year. Over the next few years, the once-crisp pages become crumpled, some get soaked, some get torn --- now how would you like to know the ending, not knowing how you got there?

That’s what Alzheimer’s is like --- you get to miss some of the best parts of the book --- you miss part of the story because the page just wasn’t there.

Now imagine that you give the book a plastic cover. Picture yourself carefully opening the pages, gently enough to not leave a bend in the spine. Would all those pages still be missing if you did?

Now that I’m older (I’m in my 40’s) my daily battle revolves around staving off serious diseases, (and Alzheimer’s is just what I’m most petrified of) while everyone says that life starts at 40. Not that it doesn’t, it’s just that its both for enjoying myself and a time to help myself.

Here are my battle plans; my strategies on fighting Alzheimer’s … and winning.

Communication – Let your family know that you’re concerned about your personal health. Talk to your family --- this will help you realize who you’re really doing all this for. Leave notes to remind them to remind you to take your medicine/supplements.

Exercise, but do only what you can – So you think that getting into exercise is what’ll make you healthy? Yes and no. If you’re just beginning, you should start off small and not hit the big heavy weights when you can’t. Do stretches before you exercise. Have someone close by should anything happen to you. Over-exerting yourself would only lead to more muscle wear-and-tear, plus it burns off liquids that your body might need during the day.

Eat right – By that I mean going after what you love eating the best. Of course, you’d still have to look at your blood pressure. Before taking that first, big,

No comments: