Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Midlife Health Concerns

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/youaremykilikiller/816827_19842816.jpg

In my 40s, I find that the more I try to fend off my midlife health concerns from the world; the biggest fears come from me instead. Not that I’m not careful about my personal health, it’s that I’m not entirely the “super-health-lifestyle” guy.

I’m trying my best to keep track of what my body takes in on a daily basis. I find that all the worrying about health only serves to make me even more worried about the threats my midlife health concerns couldn’t predict. So I trimmed down the list of concerns:

Regular Check-Ups – Before, medical check-ups were things to be taken for granted --- I mean, if you don’t feel sick, there’s no reason to go for a test, right? Unfortunately, some of the more deadly midlife health concerns are the quiet ones, the ones you wouldn’t see coming; the ones you don’t expect. You may live a health-oriented lifestyle, but you have to admit your age --- you may be sick and not know it yet.

Preventive Meds – It is absolutely crucial, that, after those check-ups, you find out if there’s any sort of preventive measure to be taken. This includes preventive medicine like statins, aspirin, ACE inhibitors, etc – and you better remember to take ‘em.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes – If you’re a smoker, make it a point to stop now. If you’ve quit smoking entirely, there’s still the issue of second-hand smoke --- it’s even worse than if you’ve had the cigarette --- avoid smoking areas at all cost, not for the temptation, but to shield you from all the burnt poison that you might inhale.

Diet and Exercise – Set up a diet and follow it religiously --- if you can, exercise at least 3-5 times a week --- these activities are healthily tedious, but doing so proves to be a much cheaper alternative to being hospitalized. Both of them work by preventing obesity and/or diabetes, some of the very real culprits behind your midlife health concerns.

Risk Factors – Get informed. Talk to your family about your health concerns, and they may do the studies for you. Not only will this lead to a healthier lifestyle for you, it also encourages an even healthier lifestyle for the rest of your family. Know what’s right for you and cut down on your possible risk factors.

There you have it --- some of my weekly midlife health concerns --- because sometimes, we all need a little reminding from time-to-time.

No comments: